Saturday, May 9, 2015

Gunnison to Crested Butte


This is only the 2nd time my bike has been out of Denver, the first time being Pallisade, CO (close to Grand Junction), but we really didn't get out to ride, just the streets of Pallisade and the Peach Festival.
So we have made it to Gunnison!





Colorado is such gorgeous country and riding a bike is nothing like seeing it in a car, or should I say that the opposite riding in a car is NOTHING like seeing this terrain on a bike!

Led and inspired by my friends Katie and Kevin. Kevin once road from coast to coast of Canada, and by his stories and rides, I have been inspired. So here we are on May 9th in Gunnison and the weather of Colorado has been crazy, and raining, and we hear there is a crazy hail/rain storm going in Denver, but we seemed to have gotten perfect weather... so we ride on...





This is a pictures are worth a 1,000 words.. to come up on these mountains after working so hard, made it so worth it and amazing. Pictures cannot show the spectacularness of this mountain range in front of us. If you ever have the opportunity to get into these mountains and ride.. DO IT! One very exciting part was to see the Maroon Bells from the other side. I am fascinated by the Maroon Bells, they are probably one of the most photographed mountain peaks, or painted, or whatever. I have only seen them from afar, from the Apsen side. I have not yet had the chance to hike them, as they are mighty mountain peaks.



We were lucky, because once we reached Crested Butte, the weather started to change, we took a few photos and had a nice warm cup of coffee, because it seemed as though the clouds were rolling in and the weather was changing. According to Kevin's app the winds seemed to be spiraling, so we for some reason seemed to have head winds both directions.




We made it to Crested Butte as the weather was rolling, and the temperatures were dropping, so we stopped into Camp 4 Coffee to warm up, defrost the hands. They made a fabulous Vanilla Latte, as we hung out with the locals for a little while.


I learned on this trip, I ready to get clip in's, I have been hesitant, I haven't been out enough to make the investment. I also learned I need FULL gloves, the fingerless in the cold weather was not so fun.



So the snow rolled in. I kept thinking to myself, WOWOWOWO, I am riding in snow, however, at least it is not rain, and while cold, I am not getting wet. Also, I am grateful the weather rolled in AFTER we got to Crested Butte and started to head back, so we got to enjoy the views on our way in.

We finished our ride just in time!

May 10th and a winter storm rolled in! Woke up to a little snow~




So far... MY Farthest Ride!!! 55 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment